Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Marques de Caceres

This is one of my favorite Spanish producers. Try their (red) Rioja Crianza or Reserva--very approachable, with lots of fresh cherry fruit and just enough structure and tannin.

Incidentally, Marques de Caceres switched over to screw caps for their whites for the 2004 vintage. Their Rioja White 2004 is 100% Viura, the most popular white grape in that region. It was done in all stainless steel, and the result is a vibrant, fruity, crisp white that goes well with food and is perfect for patio sipping this summer.

There are a lot of exciting things going on in Spain, wine-wise. Check out The New Spain for a primer.

1 comment:

Frank said...

This looks worth checking into. I've had some really good experience with Spanish wines in the last couple of years and they seem to be coming into their own now.

Here is one that I had the pleasure to taste recently that I would certainly recommend. Miguel Torres Manso De Velasco. I had a 2001, which was superb.

It is more full-bodied with lots of rich tannins and nice mellow/earthy flavor that smooths it out.

You seem to favor the lighter/frutier side on your blog (the small/recent portion that I actually read). I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the bigger rich tannin or fruit forward wines from Spain/Argentenia and even South Africa...

Also, from your restaurant article, I would want to include a mention of the Chateauneuf Du Pape; which can come at a nice value, work well with mixed entrees and not over overpower the palette.