Sunday, November 04, 2007

Decanter as Art

While thumbing through the latest Dean and Deluca wine catalog, I saw this limited-edition, $4000-a-pop decanter from French artist Etienne Meneau.

Yes it's gorgeous, and I would love to watch wine cascade down its "roots." But my practical side couldn't help asking 2 questions:

1. How many uses would you actually get out of it before you broke it? (I just keep picturing in my mind a well-meaning guest at a cocktail party whose elbow just happened to bump it as he or she was gesturing while sharing a witty story.)

and, more importantly:

2. How on earth would you clean it??? I love my wide-based Wine Enthusiast decanter, but that's difficult enough to clean--I recently found out that they make metal beads just for this purpose, and I definitely have to invest in a set. But this decanter has nothing on mine. As far as I know, there is no brush or any other device that could effectively clean it out. The only idea I have is to immediately run it under water after using it, before the wine gets sticky and dries. But if you are in the middle of hosting a party, it could be all too easy to forget to do that. And the thought of cleaning it brings me back to question #1...

Then again, I guess if you can afford this work of art, you can afford to hire someone to clean and protect it.

1 comment:

Etienne Meneau said...

Bonjour Kelly,
Thanks for your comments...I think that your last cogitation about cleaning is the good one, but don't forget that the material is pyrex glass, so it is very strong, you can pour boiling water in it if you want !
Etienne