Body can be described as the "weight" of the wine. The fuller the body, the more the wine coats your mouth, and often the longer the taste lingers. A light-bodied wine can be compared to skim milk--thin, watery, and once you swallow it you can't really taste it anymore. A medium-bodied wine is like whole milk, and a full-bodied wine is like heavy cream--thick, rich, viscous; it coats your tongue, and you can taste it long after you swallow it. Alcohol is the major ingredient in the make up of a wine's body.
Last week, I tried Ariel Vineyards de-alcoholized wine for the first time in a few years (mainly because I happened to walk by it on the shelf at Trader Joe's, and I wanted to see what I thought of it since the last time I tried it several years ago.) This winery, a division of J. Lohr, is considered one of the finest producers of de-alcoholized wines--they have actually won awards for this stuff. I picked up the Rouge, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Sirah. The purchase price was $3.99.
This wine is quite a shock to your taste buds on the first sip. The fruit flavor is there, but it's missing...something. You feel a void on the middle of your tongue, and there is none of that "hot" feeling at the back of your throat. What it's missing, of course, is alcohol--and body. Without body and weight, wine feels empty and flat, even if the fruit and other components are there.
I guess, for what it is, it's not a bad beverage. But for me, it certainly didn't quench my thirst for a nice glass of wine. If anything, it made it stronger.
Thursday, June 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment